“ Educating the mind without educating
the heart is no education at all.”
Friday, September 15, 2017
Attached is the Middlebrook School Family Handbook which contains a lot of important information on policies and guidelines pertaining to Middlebrook School and Trumbull Public Schools.
The students have settled in to the new school year very well. Many individual students and classes have received PAWS tickets for acting responsibly, working with heart and/or showing respect.
We are currently working on a new dismissal procedure for students. We have been using this new procedure for the last 3 days. It does not change the timing of dismissal, but your child may have mentioned this change. All Kindergarten students and grade 1 students have colored plastic tags attached to their backpacks indicating their bus number. Please do not remove these tags. So far the new dismissal procedure has been very organized.
I would like to remind parents that when using the morning drop-off circle please have children exit the passenger side of the car. Parents please remain in the vehicle. There are adults stationed in the drop-off circle to help children exit cars.
Patricia Frillici, Principal
Read More Letters:
August, 2017 Letter
Dear Middlebrook Families,
I hope you are having a lovely summer. Please remind students to keep reading daily, as part of the Trumbull First Selectman's and Governor's Reading Challenge. You can find more information about district summer reading expectations at https://www.trumbullps.org/techlearn/summer-enrichment/reading.html ***Just a reminder: there is an online reading log found on the same link that we encourage students and families to complete prior to returning to school in August. We also encourage our students to complete the math review and visit math websites provided by TPS at https://www.trumbullps.org/techlearn/summer-enrichment.html
I have attached the 2017-2018 Trumbull Public Schools Calendar. The first day of school is August 31st. Our Open House will be held on August 30th from 2-3 pm. On this day, students make a brief visit to their classrooms prior to starting school. We find it is a great way to welcome students and families back from the long summer and it helps lower the anxiety on the first day.
Please mark your calendar for Middlebrook's Back-to-School nights. Kindergarten, first and second grade parents are invited on Wednesday, September 6th from 6:45-8 pm to this informative evening spent in the classroom with your child's teacher who will discuss classroom, curriculum and behavioral expectations. On Thursday, September 7th from 6:45-8 pm, grades three, four and five teachers will host a similar evening for parents. These evenings are critical to the success of our students and helps to forge a strong learning partnership with parents. We ask that you get a child sitter, as children should not attend this important adult evening.
Teacher letters will go out by mail approximately August 18th depending on enrollment. This year we are trying to send as much material as possible through email. Please make sure you have signed up for the parent portal on the TPS website and provided the Middlebrook School office with an accurate email address.
Finally, you can check Middlebrook Elementary website http://www.middlebrookelementary.com/ for information about PTA, policies, school news and sample supply lists per grade level.
Patricia Frillici, Principal
Monday, June 12, 2017 Letter
Dear Middlebrook Families,
The last day of school is June 20. There will be early dismissal on June 19 and June 20. All students will be dismissed at 1:00 PM. Lunch will not be served on these days.
Report cards will go home with students on June 20. If your student is not in school on the last day of school, you can pick up their report card in the office during the summer.
Wishing all a great end of the school year and healthy and safe summer.
Patricia Frillici, Principal
November 2016 Letter
Dear Middlebrook Families,
November 4, 2016
Reminder: Rules for the Morning Drop off Circle
- Please be patient.
- Drive as far forward as possible when using the drop off circle in the morning.
- DO NOT pass vehicles.
- DO NOT exit your vehicle.
- If your child has difficulty exiting the car, please park in a legal parking spot and walk your child into the school.
- If you require assistance, ask a staff member.
- If you have a problem please bring it to the attention of the staff managing the traffic circle.
Remember our PAWS Promise. We act responsibly; work with heart and show respect.
Patricia Frillici, Principal
September 2016 Letter
Dear Middlebrook Families,
Your children are working hard and showing growth in their learning during this first month of school. I want to remind you there is no school on the following days in October:
- October 3rd Rosh Hashananh
- October 10th Columbus Day
- October 12th Yom Kippur
If your child is absent from school due to a religious holiday, please send us a note stating this, as we want to respect that absence.
We will be having Open House during the week of October 17-21st. You will receive a letter next week detailing each grade level date and time for your visit.
Each year, parents must complete the Volunteer Form at Trumbull Public Schools website; http://www.trumbullps.org/general/volunteer-form.html
You must fill out and complete this form in order to be a chaperone on a field trip. Please take a few minutes to complete the form, so you can volunteer to help in school based activities.
Finally, you must call your child's absence in by 9AM (203-452-4412). If you are changing end of day transportation, you must call in before 1PM. Changing plans after this time causes confusion on the part of both the student and staff, which interrupts the educational process for many. We are trying to create a calm learning environment, which requires better planning by all.
Mrs. Frillici, Principal
August 2016 Letter
Dear Middlebrook Families,
I am so excited to start the 2016-2017 school year with our students, families and staff! The custodial and office staff has been very busy organizing and readying the school. Our teaching staff has been in and out during the summer setting up their classrooms, so they are warm and inviting for our students. The Middlebrook School community has great pride in our school and we look forward to your children starting a new year.
During the next few days, you should receive the eagerly awaited welcome packet for grades 1-5. We are not mailing the kindergarten packets until later this week, as the enrollment may cause us to open a new classroom. I know your child will be excited to read a welcome letter from his/her teacher. Parent or guardians please complete the following 3 key items you will find in the packet and return them on the first day of school or at the Open House held the day before the first day of school;
- Emergency Contact Form (green) - This form is used by the teacher, nurse and office to communicate with you. It is important that we can reach you when it comes to the well-being of your child. If information changes during the year, please notify the office to update your records.
- Weather/Emergency Situation Early Dismissal Procedure (white) - This form is used when school closes due to weather (snow) or other unforeseen situations. We use this form to determine how your child will go home and who will care for your child in the event of an unplanned early dismissal. Please review the plan with your child.
- Transportation Cards (colored index card) - The card is used to verify how your child is getting home, particularly on the first day. For the safety of your child, it is important that we have this card accurately completed and brought to school on the first day. Kindergartners should have the cards tied to their backpacks, while all other students will give the card to their classroom teachers.
This year we will continue to build on our positive school climate through the ideals of PAWS. It is the expectation that all citizens at Middlebrook:
Work with heart
Students or classes earn PAWS tickets for demonstrating responsibility, hard work and respect. Our mascot Eli the mountain lion helps the school community celebrate when we reach a school-wide goal. I encourage our students to purchase PAWS tee shirts from our PTA as a way of showing school pride and commitment.
Please take a picture of your child reading a favorite book this summer. Your child should bring this picture to school on the first day, so we can build a school-wide bulletin board that celebrates our love of reading. Also, have your child bring in logs of books read for the Governor's Reading Challenge and First Selectman's Reading Challenge during the first week of school. You can find information about both programs at http://www.trumbullps.org/curriculum/summer-enrichment/reading.html .
I look forward to working with our students to help them be their personal best. By using Common Core State Standards http://www.corestandards.org/ , positive behavioral expectations and a focus on emotional connection, Middlebrook School strives to provide your child with an excellent educational experience. Please know that my door is always open for discussions, questions or suggestions.
Middlebrook Elementary School
220 Middlebrooks Avenue
Trumbull, CT 06611
8:35 am - 3:20 pm
8:35 am - 1:00 pm
10:05 am - 3:20 pm
8:35 am - 1:00pm
Calendar of Events | View All
Winter Beach Party
Friday February 23, 2018
5:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Fun for the whole family!
Inflatable Slide - Bounce House - Activities/Crafts
Food will be available
Admission: $5.00 per person (PTA Member) -$20 max per family
Non PTA members and pay at the door $7.00 per person.
Due Weds 02/21
We need your help!!!! Donations of baked goods or Fruit will be accepted (no nuts please)
Also sign up to help the night of on MSA
MEETINGS: The Middlebrook Father's Club hosts meetings in the media center. All meetings are at 7:30 pm in the Media Center. All Dads and teachers are welcome to attend.
Thursday, March 22, 2018
Thursday, April 19, 2018
Thursday, May 10, 2018
Fathers' Club Beach Party Friday, February 23
Father's Club Outdoor Movie Night TBD May
During your child's lunch period they will be able to visit the school store and purchase supplies and small treasures ranging from $0.05 to $4.00. We could also use some helping hands at the store from 11:00-1:30. Any amount of time you can give would be appreciated! Please sign up here Signups page
February 23, 2018
March 16, 2018
April 20, 2018
May 18, 2018
The process for determining the Trumbull town budget that will be in affect for the 2018-2019 school year is well underway. The Board of Finance will hold a public hearing this Saturday, February 24th in Town Hall at 10AM. This is an opportunity for you to have your voice heard by those who will be making decisions on our Town's budget; let them know your opinions and priorities on education spending in Trumbull. Please attend this Budget Hearing on 2/24 at 10AM. You may address the Board or simply sit and listen. You may also email the Board of Finance at BOFclerk@Trumbull-ct.gov.
The Board of Education approved an education budget with a 4.2% increase over last year. The First Selectman has adjusted that number to a 3.1% increase over last year. The Board of Finance may decrease that amount or pass the budget numbers as they are to the Town Council. The PTA understands that the budget process can be long and confusing, especially for those new to it. We are determined to help parents understand and know how they can be involved. You can view the proposed education budget by visiting: https://www.trumbullps.org/boe/budget. Please contact your PTA and attend a local PTA meeting to learn more.
Please join us for this month's PTA meeting on Monday night at 7:15 pm in the Middlebrook Library. We will have a presentation about Math in the school from Mrs. Santilli and Senora Lopez. All are welcome!!!
This month we will be using remote access capabilities with a dial in number for those who cannot physically attend the meeting. You will be receiving an email with information on the number to call and the access code you will need to join us!
Also if you have anything you would like added to the agenda please let us know by Friday!
We will be going out for adult beverages after the meeting, we hope you can join us!
The Middlebrook PTA hosts a monthly meeting in the media center. All meetings are on Monday evenings at 7:15 pm in the Media Center. All families and teachers are welcome to attend.
February 26, 2018
March 12, 2018
April 23, 2018
May 14, 2018
|PTA Exec Board Meetings. All meetings are on Monday evenings at 6:30 pm in the Media Center.
February 26, 2018
April 23, 2018
May 14, 2018
PTA Installation Dinner: June 4, 2018
|PTSA Council Meetings
PTSA Council Dinner TBD June
Middlebrook's Midweek Mixer
Only 43 days till our big event! We are looking for donations for our Silent Auction. We are looking for restaurant gift certificates, salon gift cards, gift certificates for sports lessons and camps and anything else you can think of! No donation is to small! (Please note that some donations may be used at the Plant Sale raffle).
Also there is still time to be a Corporate Sponsor! Don't miss out on this amazing advertising opportunity! Don't have a business? No problem! There are Family Sponsors as well! These are great ways to help support your child's school! Check out the MSA store for more information!
Family Sponsorship is $100 and includes two tickets and four drink tickets for the event, as well as the family name in the auction packet. The sponsorship is also tax deductible!
Corporate Sponsorship is $200 and includes two tickets and four drink tickets for the event, as well as the corporations logo/name on our Facebook page, on a Sponsorship board at the event and on the front cover of the auction packet. If you have any questions please shoot us an email!
All sponsorships are available in the MSA store:
SPECIAL TICKET OFFER!
THS Musicals presents: CURTAINS
Middlebrook families are invited to a discounted afternoon performance by Trumbull High School Musicals! Come and experience the magic of live theatre while supporting our THS Thespian Troupe!
What: It's the brassy, bright, and promising year of 1959. Boston's Colonial Theatre is host to the opening night performance of a new musical. When the leading lady mysteriously dies on stage the entire cast & crew are suspects. Enter a local detective, who just happens to be a musical theatre fan!
A hilarious journey for both performers and the audience, the original Broadway production garnered 8 nominations at the 2007 Tony Awards including Best Musical.
When: Sunday, March 18th at 2:00pm This MB Group Ticket Discount is available for Sunday, March 18 at 2pm ONLY!
Where: Trumbull High School Theatre 72 Strobel Rd, Trumbull CT
Who: Your Whole Family! Tickets are $13 each
This offer expires 2/26/18.
How: MB discounted tickets will be held at the door. Look for MB signage and a friendly PTA rep!
For additional information on other performances and ticket availability please visit: www.thsmusicals.com
Trumbull Parents of Students with Learning Difficulties
The TPSLD (Trumbull Parents of Students with Learning Difficulties) is reforming and we need your help. We have scheduled a meeting on February 19th 7:00pm located at 59 Magnolia Rd. Trumbull to discuss the steps to reform our support group for the families of Trumbull.
Our short team goal is to bring back the monthly meetings with speakers and resources for all our families. The long term goal is to take the necessary steps to form a SEPTA (Special Eduction PTA). A wonderful example of a SEPTA is the Fairfield SEPTA http://www.fairfieldsepta.org/
If you have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com or 203-339-5164.
Kelly Miyaki, Trumbull PTA Council, TPSLD Chair
Thanks to the support of our generous PTA, three authors will be visiting Middlebrook this year to share their experiences and stories with our students. A big Thank You goes to our PTA - without your generous support, our Literature Celebration would not be possible.
Visiting Authors this Spring:
Our first author, David Schwartz, will be visiting with students during the school day on February 22nd and will also hold a special evening performance for all Middlebrook families. The family performance will begin at 6:30 p.m. and is approximately 60 minutes (more details to follow).
Note - If time allows, the authors will usually sign any of the books that he/she has written. If you wish to purchase any books, or your child has any of their books, you may send the books into school to be autographed. In order to ensure that the books are returned to the correct student, please follow the procedure listed below:
- Write your child's name and homeroom teacher's name on a sticky note and place it on the front cover of the book.
- Take a second sticky note, and place it on the title page --include how you would like the book signed.
- Place book(s) in a large (gallon-sized) Ziploc bag.
- Ask your child to bring the bag to the library the day prior to the author's presentation.
The signed book will be returned to your child by the day after the author's visit.
Thanks again to our wonderful PTA for making this possible! We are looking forward to seeing these fabulous authors.
Junior Achievement Sign Ups!
Volunteers are needed to lead Junior Achievement programs in grades 2-5. Junior Achievement programs bring volunteers into the classroom to lead students in engaging activities to help them explore the concepts of financial literacy, business, and community. Junior Achievement provides volunteers with all of the necessary materials for lessons and activities along with a detailed lesson plan book to follow.
What is the commitment?
- 5 lessons, each approximately 45 minutes long, schedule dates and times directly with teacher
- New volunteers attend a 30 minute JA Volunteer Orientation at Middlebrook
- Teachers remain in the classroom to assist
- JA provides all materials needed and a detailed lesson plan book; you provide your life experience, enthusiasm, and time!
Classes will start sometime in March, although specific schedule dates and times will be established by communicating directly with the teacher. Each volunteers must commit to 5 lessons, each approximately 45 minutes long.
If you would like to volunteer, please sign up here by February 9th!
Chat with the Principal
Principal Patricia Frillici hosts monthly "Chat with Principal", on Thursdays at 9:00 am in the media center. Chat with Principal is a monthly forum where parents may meet with the principal in an informal way to learn more about what's happening at school and to ask questions. All parents are invited to attend.
March 15, 2018
April 26, 2018
May 17, 2018
June 7, 2018
Congratulations to the following Reflections participants who placed in this years contest! All first place winners will go on to be judged at the state level. Thank you to all who participated in the Reflections program this year!
Visual Arts Primary
1st: Alyssa Lei
Visual Arts Intermediate
1st: Karli Chirgwin
2nd: Tate Sullivan
1st: Graziella Mallozzi
2nd: Mayher Dulan
3rd: Dalton Blaskey
1st: Kylie Lucia
2nd: Anivarth Parthasarathy
3rd: Carson Lucia
HM: Natalie Shove
1st: Anivarth Parthasarath
2nd: Bailey Wright
3rd: Gage LaSalle
1st: Kylie Yurdin
2nd: Addison DeLong
1st: Isabella Cabral
School will be closed on the following days:
GOOD FRIDAY: Friday, March 30, 2018
SPRING RECESS: 4/9-4/13/2018
TEACHER PD DAY: Monday, April 16, 2018
MEMORIAL DAY: Monday, May 28, 2018
Father's Club Golf Tournament
The 15th Annual Father's Club Golf Tournament will be on Monday May 14, 2018. The Father's Club is looking for help organizing Middlebrook's participation in this town wide event. There are opportunities for sponsorships as well as for people to golf and help out the day of the event. Please see the flyer for more information. If you are interested or have any other questions please contact Dave Galla at firstname.lastname@example.org
My School Anywhere
You will be getting your teacher assignment packets from the Trumbull Public School in the mail very soon. Once you receive your child's teacher assignment, please log in to My School Anywhere (MSA) and update your child's teacher in your profile.
By adding your child's teacher when you get your child's packet, you will help create class lists earlier than in previous years! This is also a great time to join the PTA and help make a difference in your child's learning environment. Through your help, the PTA has:
- built a new playground for children in younger grades,
- sponsored award winning authors to speak with the school,
- provided each student with a free book every Spring,
- maintain the Courtyard learning space,
- create and support the Learning Commons,
- and so much more!
Annual Membership dues can be paid through our Store on MSA ($10/one adult family OR $16/two adult family) or by sending a check in to the Middlebrook PTA at the beginning of the school year with the attached form.
Have you joined the PTA yet ? Some benefits of PTA membership include getting to vote on PTA matters, getting/continuing to get PTA emails and receiving the PTA directory. And there's much more than that. Also, if you would like to be in our directory, please join by October first. By that point, we will start putting the directory together with the membership that has already joined.
Support Middlebrook Elementary School - It's Quick and EASY!
Registration for the Stop & Shop A+ School Rewards program begins today! Once enrolled in the program, simply shop as usual. With each grocery run from October 6, 2017- March 15th, 2018, you will earn cash for Middlebrook! Reward points are tallied monthly and Middlebrook receives one big check for CASH at the end of the program to use for any of our educational needs.
If your Stop & Shop card is already registered with Middlebrook from last year, this just got even easier. You are already set up. Thank you!
Bonus: Have family or neighbors who Stop & Shop? They, too, can help our Middlebrook community by registering their cards and earning Middlebrook cash. Feel free to pass this along.
Instructions on how to register are on the link below.
Thank you so much for supporting our school, Middlebrook PTA
- Food Allergy Notice: (The Management of Food Allergies at School (Updated 8/19/14)) On behalf of the many students with food allergies (some of which can be life threatening) we would appreciate your assistance in keeping our classroom communities safe for all of our children. If there are any allergy concerns in your child's classroom, you will receive a more specific letter during the first week of school. Although manufacturers have become more diligent in indicating allergen status on their products, there is always a danger that foods can be cross-contaminated in production lines. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Mrs. San Pietro in the Health Office at 203-452-4412. For more information on food allergies, The Food Allergy Research and Education website (foodallergy.org) is a great resource for all types of food allergies.
- Elementary Handbook: Download the Elementary Handbook!
- The ABCs of Middlebrook: Download the ABCs!
- Important reminder to volunteers: Reminder to anyone who volunteers at the school or plans to chaperone a field trip, you must fill out the Volunteer Form
- Start of school reminder: We have had a large number of students coming to school tardy. Please remember that the school day begins at 8:35 AM. When students are late this creates a disruption to the class and to student learning.
- Kindergarten Drop Off Policy: In accordance with district policy, Transportation 3541, Section VI, Bus Stops, we do not allow kindergarten students off the bus in the afternoon unless there is an authorized parent or designee over the age of 12 at the bus stop for the student to go home with. The names of all authorized persons should be sent to the Trumbull Public Schools Manager of Transportation (e-mail: email@example.com, FAX: (203)-452-4334), or by U.S. mail to: Transportation Department, 6254 Main Street, Trumbull, CT 06611). If there is not an authorized parent or designee at the bus stop for your kindergarten student, we will return the student back to the school. Thank you for continued support in helping to ensure the safety of our students.
- Middlebrook School Message regarding traffic flow: The Police Department has requested that when entering or leaving the Middlebrook parking lot cars do not block the EMS driveway. This creates a safety issue for the emergency vehicles. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. (June 2015)
- Immunization Religious Exemption information (Updated 8/21/15)
- Please see the attached Pesticides letter from the Superintendent and Asbestos letter from Mark Deming, Facilities Director. (Updated 8/10/15)
- Letter to Elementary Parents and Staff regarding The Management of Food Allergies at School (Updated Oct 2014)
- Middlebrook School Guidelines (Updated September 2014)
- Please read the attached transportation letter from Mrs. Frillici and the Transportation Dept. (August 2014)