“ Educating the mind without educating
the heart is no education at all.”
November 4, 2016
Reminder: Rules for the Morning Drop off Circle
- Please be patient.
- Drive as far forward as possible when using the drop off circle in the morning.
- DO NOT pass vehicles.
- DO NOT exit your vehicle.
- If your child has difficulty exiting the car, please park in a legal parking spot and walk your child into the school.
- If you require assistance, ask a staff member.
- If you have a problem please bring it to the attention of the staff managing the traffic circle.
Remember our PAWS Promise. We act responsibly; work with heart and show respect.
Patricia Frillici, Principal
Read More Letters:
September 2016 Letter
Dear Middlebrook Families,
Your children are working hard and showing growth in their learning during this first month of school. I want to remind you there is no school on the following days in October:
- October 3rd Rosh Hashananh
- October 10th Columbus Day
- October 12th Yom Kippur
If your child is absent from school due to a religious holiday, please send us a note stating this, as we want to respect that absence.
We will be having Open House during the week of October 17-21st. You will receive a letter next week detailing each grade level date and time for your visit.
Each year, parents must complete the Volunteer Form at Trumbull Public Schools website; http://www.trumbullps.org/general/volunteer-form.html
You must fill out and complete this form in order to be a chaperone on a field trip. Please take a few minutes to complete the form, so you can volunteer to help in school based activities.
Finally, you must call your child's absence in by 9AM (203-452-4412). If you are changing end of day transportation, you must call in before 1PM. Changing plans after this time causes confusion on the part of both the student and staff, which interrupts the educational process for many. We are trying to create a calm learning environment, which requires better planning by all.
Mrs. Frillici, Principal
August 2016 Letter
Dear Middlebrook Families,
I am so excited to start the 2016-2017 school year with our students, families and staff! The custodial and office staff has been very busy organizing and readying the school. Our teaching staff has been in and out during the summer setting up their classrooms, so they are warm and inviting for our students. The Middlebrook School community has great pride in our school and we look forward to your children starting a new year.
During the next few days, you should receive the eagerly awaited welcome packet for grades 1-5. We are not mailing the kindergarten packets until later this week, as the enrollment may cause us to open a new classroom. I know your child will be excited to read a welcome letter from his/her teacher. Parent or guardians please complete the following 3 key items you will find in the packet and return them on the first day of school or at the Open House held the day before the first day of school;
- Emergency Contact Form (green) - This form is used by the teacher, nurse and office to communicate with you. It is important that we can reach you when it comes to the well-being of your child. If information changes during the year, please notify the office to update your records.
- Weather/Emergency Situation Early Dismissal Procedure (white) - This form is used when school closes due to weather (snow) or other unforeseen situations. We use this form to determine how your child will go home and who will care for your child in the event of an unplanned early dismissal. Please review the plan with your child.
- Transportation Cards (colored index card) - The card is used to verify how your child is getting home, particularly on the first day. For the safety of your child, it is important that we have this card accurately completed and brought to school on the first day. Kindergartners should have the cards tied to their backpacks, while all other students will give the card to their classroom teachers.
This year we will continue to build on our positive school climate through the ideals of PAWS. It is the expectation that all citizens at Middlebrook:
Work with heart
Students or classes earn PAWS tickets for demonstrating responsibility, hard work and respect. Our mascot Eli the mountain lion helps the school community celebrate when we reach a school-wide goal. I encourage our students to purchase PAWS tee shirts from our PTA as a way of showing school pride and commitment.
Please take a picture of your child reading a favorite book this summer. Your child should bring this picture to school on the first day, so we can build a school-wide bulletin board that celebrates our love of reading. Also, have your child bring in logs of books read for the Governor's Reading Challenge and First Selectman's Reading Challenge during the first week of school. You can find information about both programs at http://www.trumbullps.org/curriculum/summer-enrichment/reading.html .
I look forward to working with our students to help them be their personal best. By using Common Core State Standards http://www.corestandards.org/ , positive behavioral expectations and a focus on emotional connection, Middlebrook School strives to provide your child with an excellent educational experience. Please know that my door is always open for discussions, questions or suggestions.
Middlebrook Elementary School
220 Middlebrooks Avenue
Trumbull, CT 06611
8:35 am - 3:20 pm
8:35 am - 1:00 pm
10:05 am - 3:20 pm
8:35 am - 1:00pm
Calendar of Events | View All
Get Involved with the International Festival...Coming April 28
April 28, 2017
Good Morning! Middlebrook's International Festival is coming April 28th, and we hope to get more Middlebrook families who are interested in continuing the success of this annual celebration of our school's diversity. This event offers something for the entire family and has food, entertainment, craft and game tables, raffles, and more. We need all levels of involvement, so even if you don't have a lot of time, we can still find something for you to do! Here are various ways you can lend a hand:
- Planner? Join the Int'l Committee and be a part of the entire planning process
- Tenacious? Help us get Restaurant and Raffle Donations
- Creative? Develop and organize a Craft or Game Table representing a country of your choice
- Cook? Bring an Int'l Dish or Dessert (or even ask Grandma or Aunty)
- Helper? Just want to help the night of the event? We need help for setup and cleanup.
- Designer? Design/Print the Evening Program/Restaurant Cards/Event Flyers
- Play dress up? Get your child to dress up and be a part of the International Parade of Nations. We also need donations for our International photo booth (cultural items such as costumes, hats and other props that represent different countries)
- Organizer? Help with recruiting and organizing student volunteers (they will get community hours)
Please let us know how you want to help....Email Grazi Carletto at email@example.com or Melanie Flavin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Outdoor Classroom Volunteers Needed
The outdoor classroom committee needs volunteers to go into Courtyard and "straighten up" so classes can use the area effectively. Tasks will include filling bird feeders, cleaning up any debris, straightening any furniture etc.
New dates through June - now added!
Group Picture Day (Rescheduled)
March 20, 2017
RESCHEDULED GROUP PICTURE DAY: MONDAY, MARCH 20 IS GROUP PICTURE DAY! Kids should bring/wear scout uniforms (Girl and Boy), running team uniforms, safety patrol belts, etc. GROUP PICTURES WILL BE TAKEN FROM 9-11AM.
April 20, 2017, 7:15pm
Just a reminder that our next PTA Meeting will be Monday 3/20/17 at 7:15 PM in the School Library. We will have Melissa McGarry, project director for the Trumbull Partnership Against Underage Drinking & Drugs (TPAUD) will lead a discussion about the substance abuse influences on our kids and the steps that elementary school parents can take to protect them. It is never too early to start laying the groundwork to keep your kids safe and free from alcohol and drugs. All parents and teachers are welcome!
PTA Board Positions
2017/2018 School Year
All PTA Board positions open for next year! Interested in building our Middlebrook Community? Ask me how! (email@example.com
Volunteer for Junior Achievement!
For 5th Grade Students and Families:
All 5th Grade students are asked to complete this survey for the yearbook: http://bit.ly/Mbrook5
Here is the process for families to upload their baby pictures for the yearbook:
- Go to the Lifetouch Community Upload website at http://community.lifetouch.com and log in (access code is TNVMWK) Log in community.lifetouch.com. Lifetouch Yearbooks Community Upload. Upload photos to be considered for your school's yearbook. Contact your school for an access code.
- Click "Upload Image"
- Select and upload the baby picture as instructed: PICTURES MUST BE JPEG FORMAT AND HIGH RESOLUTION or they will be rejected
- After the picture is uploaded, you will see a confirmation page entitled "Review and Submit Images" (one baby picture per student, please)
- Under "Description" write in the CHILD'S FULL NAME and TEACHER (VERY IMPORTANT)
- On the same page, go to the drop-down menu "Category" and scroll down and select the folder called "BABY PICS -- 5TH GR"
- Double check name and photo and, if all is correct, click "Submit All"
Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Chat with the Principal
March 23, 2017
April 27, 2017
May 18, 2017
June 2017 TBA
Kindergarten Parent Orientation
Thurs., March 23 9:00-10:30.
(child orientation with bus ride, TBA)
School Store: In the Lobby
During Lunch. 11:30-1:30
The School Store offers your student the opportunity to purchase school supplies during lunchtime. Prices range from $.25 to a few dollars, with most items less than $1.
Thursday, April 20, 2017
Thursday, May 18, 2017
Good morning! I'm looking to recruit some volunteers for this years school store in order to make this year as much of a success as last. Unfortunately, I have lost a few devoted helpers to middle school, so I'm looking to you guys for help. Please let me know if you will be able to help out this year again, OR if you could spread the word to friends and neighbors who may be interested in helping out. It would be especially helpful to get some Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade parents involved.
The first School Store is next THURSDAY 9/22 from 11:15-1:30 (I can't do Friday's anymore). Please let me know if you would be able to help out next week. Anytime you can give, would be helpful!
Thanks so much, Christy
PTSA Council meeting update
PTSA Meeting Dates for 2016/17 School Year - ALL ARE WELCOME
- Monday, April 24, 2017, 7pm
Guest Speaker: TBD
Long Hill Administration Building, 6254 Main Street
Good Morning Middlebrook Families! Attached you will find the minutes and handouts from the April 25th PTSA Council meeting. These minutes will be approved at the first fall meeting. If you are interested in being a Middlebrook delegate to the PTSA Council next year, please let me know. Middlebrook has several open delegate seats. The PTSA Council meets 3 times a year to discuss education and advocacy in Trumbull. It is a great way to stay current on education issues. Thank you, Jennifer Mottolese, Middlebrook PTA
May 8, 2017
Attention Golfers! The Annual Fathers' Club Golf Tournament will be on Monday, May 8th! Cost is $185 and it supports all the elementary schools in Trumbull! Questions? Contact David Galla or Ruth Fontilla. Space is limited, so get your forms in early! This might be a wonderful early Father's Day gift (or Mother's Day, as it is not just for Dads!). There is also a way to send a message to a golfer on the course by buying a sign!
Have you joined the PTA yet ? Some benefits of PTA membership include getting to vote on PTA matters, getting/continuing to get PTA emails and receiving the PTA directory. And there's much more than that. Also, if you would like to be in our directory, please join by October first. By that point, we will start putting the directory together with the membership that has already joined.
Support Middlebrook Elementary School - It's Quick and EASY!
- Elementary Handbook: Download the Elementary Handbook!
- The ABCs of Middlebrook: Download the ABCs!
- Important reminder to volunteers: Reminder to anyone who volunteers at the school or plans to chaperone a field trip, you must fill out the Volunteer Form located on the Trumbull Public Schools website: www.TrumbullPublicSchools.org
- Start of school reminder: We have had a large number of students coming to school tardy. Please remember that the school day begins at 8:35 AM. When students are late this creates a disruption to the class and to student learning.
- Kindergarten Drop Off Policy: In accordance with district policy, Transportation 3541, Section VI, Bus Stops, we do not allow kindergarten students off the bus in the afternoon unless there is an authorized parent or designee over the age of 12 at the bus stop for the student to go home with. The names of all authorized persons should be sent to the Trumbull Public Schools Manager of Transportation (e-mail: email@example.com, FAX: (203)-452-4334), or by U.S. mail to: Transportation Department, 6254 Main Street, Trumbull, CT 06611). If there is not an authorized parent or designee at the bus stop for your kindergarten student, we will return the student back to the school. Thank you for continued support in helping to ensure the safety of our students.
- Middlebrook School Message regarding traffic flow: The Police Department has requested that when entering or leaving the Middlebrook parking lot cars do not block the EMS driveway. This creates a safety issue for the emergency vehicles. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. (June 2015)
- Immunization Religious Exemption information (Updated 8/21/15)
- Please see the attached Pesticides letter from the Superintendent and Asbestos letter from Mark Deming, Facilities Director. (Updated 8/10/15)
- Letter to Elementary Parents and Staff regarding The Management of Food Allergies at School (Updated Oct 2014)
- The Management of Food Allergies at School (Updated 8/19/14)
- Middlebrook School Guidelines (Updated September 2014)
- ABCs of the Trumbull Education Budget (2013-2014)
- Please read the attached transportation letter from Mrs. Frillici and the Transportation Dept. (August 2014)