“ Educating the mind without educating
the heart is no education at all.”
November 4, 2016
Reminder: Rules for the Morning Drop off Circle
- Please be patient.
- Drive as far forward as possible when using the drop off circle in the morning.
- DO NOT pass vehicles.
- DO NOT exit your vehicle.
- If your child has difficulty exiting the car, please park in a legal parking spot and walk your child into the school.
- If you require assistance, ask a staff member.
- If you have a problem please bring it to the attention of the staff managing the traffic circle.
Remember our PAWS Promise. We act responsibly; work with heart and show respect.
Patricia Frillici, Principal
Read More Letters:
September 2016 Letter
Dear Middlebrook Families,
Your children are working hard and showing growth in their learning during this first month of school. I want to remind you there is no school on the following days in October:
- October 3rd Rosh Hashananh
- October 10th Columbus Day
- October 12th Yom Kippur
If your child is absent from school due to a religious holiday, please send us a note stating this, as we want to respect that absence.
We will be having Open House during the week of October 17-21st. You will receive a letter next week detailing each grade level date and time for your visit.
Each year, parents must complete the Volunteer Form at Trumbull Public Schools website; http://www.trumbullps.org/general/volunteer-form.html
You must fill out and complete this form in order to be a chaperone on a field trip. Please take a few minutes to complete the form, so you can volunteer to help in school based activities.
Finally, you must call your child's absence in by 9AM (203-452-4412). If you are changing end of day transportation, you must call in before 1PM. Changing plans after this time causes confusion on the part of both the student and staff, which interrupts the educational process for many. We are trying to create a calm learning environment, which requires better planning by all.
Mrs. Frillici, Principal
August 2016 Letter
Dear Middlebrook Families,
I am so excited to start the 2016-2017 school year with our students, families and staff! The custodial and office staff has been very busy organizing and readying the school. Our teaching staff has been in and out during the summer setting up their classrooms, so they are warm and inviting for our students. The Middlebrook School community has great pride in our school and we look forward to your children starting a new year.
During the next few days, you should receive the eagerly awaited welcome packet for grades 1-5. We are not mailing the kindergarten packets until later this week, as the enrollment may cause us to open a new classroom. I know your child will be excited to read a welcome letter from his/her teacher. Parent or guardians please complete the following 3 key items you will find in the packet and return them on the first day of school or at the Open House held the day before the first day of school;
- Emergency Contact Form (green) - This form is used by the teacher, nurse and office to communicate with you. It is important that we can reach you when it comes to the well-being of your child. If information changes during the year, please notify the office to update your records.
- Weather/Emergency Situation Early Dismissal Procedure (white) - This form is used when school closes due to weather (snow) or other unforeseen situations. We use this form to determine how your child will go home and who will care for your child in the event of an unplanned early dismissal. Please review the plan with your child.
- Transportation Cards (colored index card) - The card is used to verify how your child is getting home, particularly on the first day. For the safety of your child, it is important that we have this card accurately completed and brought to school on the first day. Kindergartners should have the cards tied to their backpacks, while all other students will give the card to their classroom teachers.
This year we will continue to build on our positive school climate through the ideals of PAWS. It is the expectation that all citizens at Middlebrook:
Work with heart
Students or classes earn PAWS tickets for demonstrating responsibility, hard work and respect. Our mascot Eli the mountain lion helps the school community celebrate when we reach a school-wide goal. I encourage our students to purchase PAWS tee shirts from our PTA as a way of showing school pride and commitment.
Please take a picture of your child reading a favorite book this summer. Your child should bring this picture to school on the first day, so we can build a school-wide bulletin board that celebrates our love of reading. Also, have your child bring in logs of books read for the Governor's Reading Challenge and First Selectman's Reading Challenge during the first week of school. You can find information about both programs at http://www.trumbullps.org/curriculum/summer-enrichment/reading.html .
I look forward to working with our students to help them be their personal best. By using Common Core State Standards http://www.corestandards.org/ , positive behavioral expectations and a focus on emotional connection, Middlebrook School strives to provide your child with an excellent educational experience. Please know that my door is always open for discussions, questions or suggestions.
Middlebrook Elementary School
220 Middlebrooks Avenue
Trumbull, CT 06611
8:35 am - 3:20 pm
8:35 am - 1:00 pm
10:05 am - 3:20 pm
8:35 am - 1:00pm
Calendar of Events | View All
HELP THE MIDDLEBROOK MAKER SPACE GROW
Have you heard about the incredibly exciting things happening in the Learning Commons?? Lego wall? Green screen?
This new area is dedicated to "Making," which includes anything (and everything) hands-on investigation, building, creating. We use tools like Legos, robots, programming, circuits & LEDs.
It's fun. It's absolutely educational. And the possibilities are truly endless. But! To make it happen, we need to raise essential funds to purchase materials and supplies.
Please support our MakerSpace by participating in this Pampered Chef sale by clicking on the link below. All students benefit from this amazing STEAM initiative! A portion of sales will be donated back to the school and Pampered Chef will also donate an extra $3 for every show booked through this fundraiser.
It's easy; just go to the link below to place your order. Orders will be shipped directly to customers, anywhere in the country.
SHARE and use the following link on your Facebook page OR email it to friends/family:
Chat with the Principal
December 2016 TBA
January 26, 2017
February 16, 2017
March 23, 2017
April 27, 2017
May 18, 2017
June 2017 TBA
School Store: In the Lobby
During Lunch. 11:30-1:30
The School Store offers your student the opportunity to purchase school supplies during lunchtime. Prices range from $.25 to a few dollars, with most items less than $1.
Thursday, December 15, 2016
Thursday, January 19, 2017
Thursday, February 16, 2017
Thursday, March 16, 2017
Thursday, April 20, 2017
Thursday, May 18, 2017
Good morning! I'm looking to recruit some volunteers for this years school store in order to make this year as much of a success as last. Unfortunately, I have lost a few devoted helpers to middle school, so I'm looking to you guys for help. Please let me know if you will be able to help out this year again, OR if you could spread the word to friends and neighbors who may be interested in helping out. It would be especially helpful to get some Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade parents involved.
The first School Store is next THURSDAY 9/22 from 11:15-1:30 (I can't do Friday's anymore). Please let me know if you would be able to help out next week. Anytime you can give, would be helpful!
Thanks so much, Christy
Have you joined the PTA yet ? Some benefits of PTA membership include getting to vote on PTA matters, getting/continuing to get PTA emails and receiving the PTA directory. And there's much more than that. Also, if you would like to be in our directory, please join by October first. By that point, we will start putting the directory together with the membership that has already joined.
Outdoor Classroom Volunteers Needed
The outdoor classroom committee needs volunteers to go into Courtyard and "straighten up" so classes can use the area effectively. Tasks will include filling bird feeders, cleaning up any debris, straightening any furniture etc.
New dates added: January - June now added!
PTSA Council meeting update
PTSA Meeting Dates for 2016/17 School Year - ALL ARE WELCOME
- Monday, January 30, 2017, 7pm
Guest Speaker: Christina Hefeley, Information Technology, Parent Portal
Long Hill Administration Building, 6254 Main Street
- Monday, April 24, 2017, 7pm
Guest Speaker: TBD
Long Hill Administration Building, 6254 Main Street
Good Morning Middlebrook Families! Attached you will find the minutes and handouts from the April 25th PTSA Council meeting. These minutes will be approved at the first fall meeting. If you are interested in being a Middlebrook delegate to the PTSA Council next year, please let me know. Middlebrook has several open delegate seats. The PTSA Council meets 3 times a year to discuss education and advocacy in Trumbull. It is a great way to stay current on education issues. Thank you, Jennifer Mottolese, Middlebrook PTA
March 10, 2017
Outdoor Classroom Update
Thank you, thank you, thank you for attending our meeting yesterday. It was so exciting to have so many of you attend and share your ideas. Here are our notes:
- Repairs- Ruth Fontilla will have them done by Wednesday May 18th
- Picket fence with birdhouses up- Brian Fox will have them up by May 27th
- Rain basin/trellis/raised beds-Jeffrey Penkoff has completed the planter/ trellis??
- Weather station-future Eagle scout?? I will contact this young man today
- EXPLORE letters-Dave Galla will have them completed and up by June 3rd
- Rock wall- Bill Pond , currently working with Mrs. Abate and Mrs. Craw
- Summer volunteer schedule- I will ask Mrs. Mottolese to send that out
- Pulley system
- Rain basin
- Stepping stone/marker/mosaic classroom fundraisers
- Butterfly garden
Would someone consider being our secretary and treasurer?
Parents: please send your ideas and thoughts. If you visit and see something beneficial to our courtyard, please send photos. I especially love hearing the children's ideas. After all, it's all for them.
I promise not to annoyingly email you on a regular basis, however, I wanted to give you the science content for grades K-5 so you know what we are basing projects on and what to keep your eyes out for this summer.
- life cycle of animals and humans
- weather/seasons- animal and human shelters
- metamorphosis/life cycles-butterflies, ladybugs, ants
- plants-seeds to germination/bee pollination
- investigating water
- air and weather
- matter-solids, liquid, gas
- ecosystems, animal and plant adaptations
- the human body
- rocks and minerals
- building bird feeders
- force and Motion/simple machines
- electricity and magnetism
- physics of sound/light
- human eye/ear
- earth, moon, sun, light
- solar houses
Enjoy the end of the school year and happy summer. Thank you so much. Freda Stanton
We will have our next meeting Monday, September 12th at 3:30 in the courtyard.
Support Middlebrook Elementary School - It's Quick and EASY!
- Elementary Handbook: Download the Elementary Handbook!
- The ABCs of Middlebrook: Download the ABCs!
- Important reminder to volunteers: Reminder to anyone who volunteers at the school or plans to chaperone a field trip, you must fill out the Volunteer Form located on the Trumbull Public Schools website: www.TrumbullPublicSchools.org
- Start of school reminder: We have had a large number of students coming to school tardy. Please remember that the school day begins at 8:35 AM. When students are late this creates a disruption to the class and to student learning.
- Kindergarten Drop Off Policy: In accordance with district policy, Transportation 3541, Section VI, Bus Stops, we do not allow kindergarten students off the bus in the afternoon unless there is an authorized parent or designee over the age of 12 at the bus stop for the student to go home with. The names of all authorized persons should be sent to the Trumbull Public Schools Manager of Transportation (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, FAX: (203)-452-4334), or by U.S. mail to: Transportation Department, 6254 Main Street, Trumbull, CT 06611). If there is not an authorized parent or designee at the bus stop for your kindergarten student, we will return the student back to the school. Thank you for continued support in helping to ensure the safety of our students.
- Middlebrook School Message regarding traffic flow: The Police Department has requested that when entering or leaving the Middlebrook parking lot cars do not block the EMS driveway. This creates a safety issue for the emergency vehicles. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. (June 2015)
- Immunization Religious Exemption information (Updated 8/21/15)
- Please see the attached Pesticides letter from the Superintendent and Asbestos letter from Mark Deming, Facilities Director. (Updated 8/10/15)
- Letter to Elementary Parents and Staff regarding The Management of Food Allergies at School (Updated Oct 2014)
- The Management of Food Allergies at School (Updated 8/19/14)
- Middlebrook School Guidelines (Updated September 2014)
- ABCs of the Trumbull Education Budget (2013-2014)
- Please read the attached transportation letter from Mrs. Frillici and the Transportation Dept. (August 2014)